Activity in this area
Australian Government Department of Health, 2017 - Investing in Medical Research – fighting childhood cancer. (http://www.health.gov.au/internet/budget/publishing.nsf/Content/budget2017-factsheet52.htm)
Cancer Australia – Children’s Cancer website (https://childrenscancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/)
Cancer Council Queensland – The Australian Childhood Cancer Registry (ACCR) (https://cancerqld.org.au/research/cancer-registries/australian-childhood-cancer-registry/).
Cancer Australia, 2008 - A National Cancer Data Strategy for Australia. (https://canceraustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/ncds_final_web1_504af02093a68.pdf).
Detailed results from the collection of childhood cancer stage data as part of this project are available in the following journal articles:
- Youlden, D.R., Gupta, S., Frazier, A.L., Moore, A.S., Baade, P.D., Valery, P.C., Green, A.C., and Aitken, J.F. 2019. Stage at diagnosis for children with blood cancers in Australia: Application of the Toronto Paediatric Cancer Stage Guidelines in a population-based national childhood cancer registry. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 66: p. e27683.
- Youlden, D.R., Frazier, A.L., Gupta, S., Pritchard-Jones, K., Kirby, M.L., Baade, P.D., Green, A.C., Valery, P.C., and Aitken, J.F. 2019. Stage at diagnosis for childhood solid cancers in Australia: A population-based study. Cancer Epidemiol, 59: p. 208-214.
Australian Childhood Cancer Registry, Cancer Council Queensland. Australian Childhood Cancer Statistics Online. CCQ: Brisbane, Australia; 2018. Based on data from the ACCR (1983-2015). (https://cancerqld.org.au/research/queensland-cancer-statistics/accr/)
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2019. Australian Cancer Incidence and Mortality (ACIM) books provide incidence and mortality by cancer type and selected demographic groups. (https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/acim-books/contents/acim-books).
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2011. Cancer in adolescents and young adults in Australia. Cancer series no 62. Cat. no. CAN 59. Canberra: AIHW (https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/cancer-in-adolescents-and-young-adults-in-australi/contents/table-of-contents)
Business rules3 for assigning childhood cancer stage at diagnosis are accessible at: (https://cancerqld.blob.core.windows.net/content/docs/childhood-cancer-staging-for-population-registries.pdf)
1. Aitken, J.F., Youlden, D.R., Moore, A.S., Baade, P.D., Ward, L.J., Thursfield, V.J., Valery, P.C., Green, A.C., Gupta, S., and Frazier, L.A. 2018. Assessing the feasibility and validity of the Toronto Childhood Cancer Stage Guidelines: a population-based registry study. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health, 2(3): p. 173-179.
2. Gupta, S., Aitken, J.F., Bartels, U., Brierley, J., Dolendo, M., Friedrich, P., Fuentes-Alabi, S., Garrido, C.P., Gatta, G., Gospodarowicz, M., Gross, T., Howard, S.C., Molyneux, E., Moreno, F., Pole, J.D., Pritchard-Jones, K., Ramirez, O., Ries, L.A.G., Rodriguez-Galindo, C., Shin, H.Y., Steliarova-Foucher, E., Sung, L., Supriyadi, E., Swaminathan, R., Torode, J., Vora, T., Kutluk, T., and Frazier, A.L. 2016. Paediatric cancer stage in population-based cancer registries: the Toronto consensus principles and guidelines. Lancet Oncol, 17(4): p. e163-e172.
3. Aitken, J.F., Youlden, D.R., Moore, A.S., Baade, P.D., Ward, L.J., Thursfield, V.J., Valery, P.C., Green, A.C., Gupta, S., and Frazier, A.L. 2017. Childhood cancer staging for population registries according to the Toronto Childhood Cancer Stage Guidelines. Brisbane, Australia: Cancer Council Queensland and Cancer Australia.
4. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2017. Cancer in Australia 2017. Cat. no. CAN 100. AIHW: Canberra.
5. Brierley, J., Gospodarowicz, M., and Wittekind, C. 2016. The TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 8th edition. . Lyon, France: Union for International Cancer Control (UICC).
6. International Association of Cancer Registries 2019. Paediatric Cancer Stage Guidelines - The IACR endorses the published Toronto Childhood Cancer Stage Guidelines and associated staging rules for use by population-based cancer registries.; Available from: <http://www.iacr.com.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153&Itemid=657>.
7. Winick, N., Devidas, M., Chen, S., Maloney, K., Larsen, E., Mattano, L., Borowitz, M.J., Carroll, A., Gastier-Foster, J.M., Heerema, N.A., Willman, C., Wood, B., Loh, M.L., Raetz, E., Hunger, S.P., and Carroll, W.L. 2017. Impact of Initial CSF Findings on Outcome Among Patients With National Cancer Institute Standard- and High-Risk B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol, 35(22): p. 2527-2534.
8. Abbott, B.L., Rubnitz, J.E., Tong, X., Srivastava, D.K., Pui, C.H., Ribeiro, R.C., and Razzouk, B.I. 2003. Clinical significance of central nervous system involvement at diagnosis of pediatric acute myeloid leukemia: a single institution's experience. Leukemia, 17(11): p. 2090-2096.
9. Harisiadis, L. and Chang, C.H. 1977. Medulloblastoma in children: a correlation between staging and results of treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2(9-10): p. 833-841.
10. Brierley, J., Gospodarowicz, M., and Wittekind, C. 2016. The TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 8th edition. Lyon, France: Union for International Cancer Control (UICC).
11. Walters, S., Maringe, C., Butler, J., Brierley, J.D., Rachet, B., and Coleman, M.P. 2013. Comparability of stage data in cancer registries in six countries: lessons from the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership. Int J Cancer, 132(3): p. 676-685.
12. Carbone, P.P., Kaplan, H.S., Musshoff, K., Smithers, D.W., and Tubiana, M. 1971. Report of the Committee on Hodgkin's Disease Staging Classification. Cancer Res, 31(11): p. 1860-1861.
13. Monclair, T., Brodeur, G.M., Ambros, P.F., Brisse, H.J., Cecchetto, G., Holmes, K., Kaneko, M., London, W.B., Matthay, K.K., Nuchtern, J.G., von Schweinitz, D., Simon, T., Cohn, S.L., Pearson, A.D., and Force, I.T. 2009. The International Neuroblastoma Risk Group (INRG) staging system: an INRG Task Force report. J Clin Oncol, 27(2): p. 298-303.
14. Murphy, S.B. 1980. Classification, staging and end results of treatment of childhood non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: dissimilarities from lymphomas in adults. Semin Oncol, 7(3): p. 332-339.
15. Prat, J. and Oncology, F.C.o.G. 2014. Staging classification for cancer of the ovary, fallopian tube, and peritoneum. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 124(1): p. 1-5.
16. Chantada, G., Doz, F., Antoneli, C.B., Grundy, R., Clare Stannard, F.F., Dunkel, I.J., Grabowski, E., Leal-Leal, C., Rodriguez-Galindo, C., Schvartzman, E., Popovic, M.B., Kremens, B., Meadows, A.T., and Zucker, J.M. 2006. A proposal for an international retinoblastoma staging system. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 47(6): p. 801-805.
17. Orkin, S., Fisher, D., Look, A., Lux, S., D., G., and Nathan, D. 2009. Oncology of Infancy and Childhood. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier.
18. Metzger, M.L. and Dome, J.S. 2005. Current therapy for Wilms' tumor. Oncologist, 10(10): p. 815-826.
19. Baade, P.D., Youlden, D.R., Valery, P.C., Hassall, T., Ward, L., Green, A.C., and Aitken, J.F. 2010. Trends in incidence of childhood cancer in Australia, 1983-2006. Br J Cancer, 102(3): p. 620-626.